Elder Services is dedicated to serving older adults and their caregivers so they may lead rich, fulfilling, and productive lives.
• Assessment and Evaluation
• Individual, Group and Family counseling in a safe, caring environment
• Medication Evaluations and Monitoring
• Caregiver counseling
• Link to various community agencies
• Visits to some area nursing homes and to homebound elders
• Case Management to eligible consumers
SMHC’s REAP Program
Reflecting SMHC’s goal to offer high-quality mental health services in a safe and confidential environment, the Referral Education Assistance & Prevention (REAP) program seeks to improve the quality of life for older adults in the entire state of New Hampshire through free preventative home and community-based counseling and education services. Founded in 1992 through the NH Finance Housing Authority and managed by SMHC’s Elder Services since 2004, REAP is the only program of its kind in the state working towards helping elders who have problems with alcohol, drugs, mental health problems, or other life changes.
Initially offered to people living in low-income senior housing, REAP services were expanded in 2002 to include people over the age of 60 living in their own homes and in 2007 to caregivers of “at risk” elders to educate them on how to intervene if an elder becomes unable or unwilling to accept help.
Did You Know…
1) Many physical symptoms can be aggravated by emotional problems.
2) Certain combinations of medications can create physical or mental distress.
3) Between 20-30% of people diagnosed with dementia actually suffer from depression that is reversible if treated.
4) 15-20% of the elderly suffer from significant mental health problems.